Wednesday 28 September 2011

Dodson Ready for Stubbs Test


The never-ending career of Garston's Tony Dodson returns to championship class once again on October 8th at Liverpool's Greenbank Sports Centre as he battles for the vacant IBO International light-heavyweight title against Oldham's Darren Stubbs.
Since relocating to Oliver Harrison's thriving Salford base last year, Dodson has moved a weight north and looked back to his impressive best when reaching the Prizefighter final in January. A consistent recipient of several facial lacerations throughout his thirteen year career, it was a dreadful cut that prevented him from further glory when he was ruled out of a final showdown with Travis Dickinson.
"It was a bad cut and unfortunately it meant that I couldn't go on and win the trophy," spoke Dodson. "It wasn't meant to be for me that night but I'm grateful that I've been given this opportunity because it means I can get back to where I want to be. This IBO title can bring good things for me and once I've won it against Stubbs, I'll be looking to add more titles to this one."
Despite participating in a career that has contained many twists and turns, Dodson maintains that he is in "a good place both physically and mentally." With a dependable home life mirroring a steady training routine, the "Garston Warrior" is now ready to make his stay at the Championship Inn a lengthy one.
"There's so much unfinished business with me and boxing," revealed Dodson. "The way I see it, I should have a Lonsdale belt to keep and I certainly think I was good enough to fight for a European title. Unfortunately, things weren't meant to be and that's why I'm here trying to get my way towards a British belt once again. I'm 31 now but I feel like I'm 21 because the move to light-heavy has been the best thing to ever happen to me."
With the showdown with Stubbs lurking on the imminent horizon, Dodson's focus is firmly fixed on the pale Mancunian veteran. With Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew vying for domestic supremacy at world championship level at 175lb, Dodson admits that his options following the Stubbs showdown could be aimed close to home.
"There are rumours that Tony Quigley could be returning at light-heavyweight once he's recovered from his injury and if that's the case then I'd love to do it one more time with him. That was a great fight last time and I owe Tony a little revenge. Courtney Fry is also making a return but he's a really close friend of mine, there's no way that fight could ever happen. For the meantime, I just want to deal with Stubbs and then I'll sit down and look what's out there."


No comments:

Post a Comment