Wednesday 14 September 2011

 

Butler Preparing Well for New Season

 

 

Possessing a glowing reputation as a premier prospect in boxing's tiniest division, Ellesmere Port's Paul Butler is the owner of a massive thirst that will only be quenched when he is fighting for titles on a regular basis. With his 4th professional outing fast approaching, the former Vauxhall Motors standout is craving the paid experience which will ensure the inevitable championship contests are bouts he is adequately prepared for.

"That's the biggest difference between me and the leading fighters, they've all got a lot more experience," opined Butler. "I'm training really well at the moment and the sparring I'm doing is really top class. I've been sparring some of the best guys around since my first day as a pro and that's given me a lot of confidence because I'm more than handling myself."

With a perfect three fight ledger featuring the signatures of the lower weight's cast of usual suspects, Butler's approach to his new surroundings has been thus far. With Delroy Spencer set to be his next target on September 17th, the Anthony Farnell student is only prepared to concede experience to the veteran campaigner.

"It looks like it's going to be me against Delroy this Saturday and he's someone that I'm not going to take lightly. He hasn't got many wins on his record but he's a survivor and he knows his way around the ring as well as anybody. He's a really experienced guy and not many stop him so it's good chance for me to really test myself against someone who's used to going the distance. Everything has gone to plan in the gym and I'm looking forward to getting in there and showing people what I can do."

With Butler's preparations coinciding with the announcement of a Super-Flyweight Prizefighter event, the Merseyside youngster was quick to dismiss himself from various forum rumours that he was set to take part. With the tournament format sometimes providing a platform for career elevation, Butler is insistent that his own talent will propel him to more privileged plateau.

"Prizefighter was something that I heard about but in all honesty it's not for me," declared Butler. "I've seen some of the names going in but it didn't appeal to me one bit. I'm certain I'm going to get to be fighting for titles based on my own ability so I'll just keep taking my time and get there when I'm good and ready. My style would've worked well for Prizefighter because I was a good amateur but I'll get to where I want to be in the end."

With the domestic boxing season handing out regular treats every single weekend now, Butler can expect to remain busy from now until business winds down next summer. Loving life at "Arnie's" Gym in Oldham, the buzzing prospect is off the mark rapidly when discussing his relationship with his enthusiastic mentor.

"Arnie's the right man for me and I'm still learning so much from him every single day," revealed Butler. "It was quite a sickener for the gym to lose two talents like Frankie [Gavin] and Bomber [Bellew] but from a selfish point of view I suppose that means it's better for me as I can get more of my trainer's time and attention. We're working on new stuff all the time and he's bringing the best out of me every day. I've just got to keep learning, get a little bit more experience and I'll be ready for the step up."

No comments:

Post a Comment