Thursday 27 January 2011

Whilst the scars of battle slowly healed on the lacerated face of Derry Mathews, an offer of potential further glory came his way. After beating Scott Lawton over 12 bloody rounds, Liverpool's former Golden Boy was handed a lucrative showdown with Huyton's John Watson for the vacant British title in just three weeks time.

"It's a fight that I badly want but there's no way I'd be ready in three weeks," said Mathews. "I'm in a good place right now and I feel like I'm getting back to my best. Give me the right amount of time to prepare and I'll have no problem getting in the ring with Watson."

Rumours of Gavin Rees landing a European title shot seem to be spot on and that has left Watson without an opponent to face for the Lonsdale strap in February. Scotland's Ryan Brawley had been mentioned as a possible opponent but the Prizefighter winner lost his unbeaten record on Monday night. Fellow Scots, Willie Limond and Lee McAllister could also be potential foes.

With Liverpool fight fans praying for a Merseyside meeting between the lightweight locals, it appears that it might have to be a little longer before their thirst is quenched. For now, its John Watson v TBC in February and Derry Mathews against the same opponent on April 16th.

No comments:

Post a Comment