Wednesday 7 September 2011

Bellew:  I'll Break Cleverly's Heart

 

The Mazy streets of Liverpool City Centre are seldom muted. In the remote passage of time that separates the bustle of a vibrant nightlife from the formality of a standard workday, this concrete network contains a significant silence that is only broken by wayward revellers or unsociable employees. For the next six weeks, this hushed environment will welcome a new addition as Tony Bellew transforms himself into a creature of the night as he prepares for his date with destiny against WBO light-heavyweight champion, Nathan Cleverly.

With three daily training sessions occupying the majority of Bellew's hectic schedule, the former three-time ABA champion is leaving no stone unturned as he prepares to do battle with a domestic rival he has stalked intently since handing his cherished Rotunda vest back four years ago. Reunited with past amateur mentors Mark Quinn and Mick McAllister, a focused Bellew is insistent that his all-British clash with Cleverly is just the beginning in terms of global glory.

"Mark my words. October 15th is going to be a special day on Merseyside because I'm leaving the Echo Arena with Nathan Cleverly's title," promised Bellew. "People need to remember that back in May, I was willing to get in the ring with him at two days notice with only a couple of week's training in the bank. That goes to show just how confident I am that I've got his number. Whether it's two days or two months notice, no matter what happens when we both get in that ring, I'm walking out with his undefeated record and his world title."

Bellew's quest to Cleverly is a lengthy voyage that stems a lot further then their fiery confrontation that greeted a substantial Sky Sports News audience back in spring. Both confident combatants shared undercard vacancies in the adolescent portions of their respective careers but it was the man from Wales who entered championship class first when he defeated a game Tony Oakey at Everton Park Sports Centre back in October 2008. Bellew occupied the undercard that night outpointing Latvian import, Jevgenijs Andrevejs. Three years on, the popular Evertonian co-owns top billing alongside his nemesis.

"This is the moment I've been waiting for my entire career," buzzed an eager Bellew. "Fighting for a world title in my own backyard against an undefeated champion is the stuff that dreams are made of and all my dreams are going to come true when I leave him cold in the ring. I've watched him and studied him for so long because I always knew this fight was going to happen. I've sat ringside when he's fought the likes of Oakey and [Karo] Murat and I've prayed that he just kept on winning because I want to be the man that takes his zero."

A frequent visitor to Liverpool throughout his career Cleverly has received warm welcomes from the knowledgeable patrons of a thriving fight scene due to his admirable achievements and exciting style. Against Bellew, you can be certain his reception will be unlike anything he has witnessed before. The 16-0 Scouse challenger is adamant that the partisan support should be the least of Cleverly's concerns.

 

 

"It's going to send a chill down my spine when I hear ten thousand supporters urging me to take his crown away but Nathan shouldn't be worried about the crowd. He needs to prepare himself for what's going to hit him once that bell goes and I'm walking through everything he's got. He can smirk to himself during the ringwalk when the crowd are booing but once the action starts I promise I'll wipe that smile off his face when I take his belt and break his heart."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment